The ‘Today’ show scrambling to fill its first-hour slot after the cancellation of ‘Megyn Kelly Today’ and anchor Hoda Kotb talk about the future of the first hour’s time slot.
The NBC needs a refresh on Megyn Kelly’s time slot after the blackface scandal. Co-anchors Hoda Kotb, Al Roker and Craig Melvin kicked off the show’s third hour and Kotb addressed how the NBC planned on moving forward without Kelly and said:
“Today, as you know, we are starting a new chapter in the third hour of our show as it evolves. We want you to know that the entire Today family will continue to bring you informative and important stories, just as we always have.”
Anchors of ‘Today’ including Savannah Guthrie will take turns hosting the 9 am time slot until the NBC can find a permanent solution as said by an NBC spokesperson:
“Megyn Kelly Today is not returning. Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other Today co-anchors.”
Read more on our Twitter account @amomama_usa.
During a statement made by Kelly’s attorney, Bryan Freedman last Friday he said:
“Megyn remains an employee of NBC News and discussions about next steps are continuing.”
Earlier on Friday, during the ‘Today’ show, the NBC News reporter, Morgan Radford commented:
“This morning, NBC News host Megyn Kelly is in talks with the network about her imminent departure.”
The network indicated that they are ‘very happy’ with their prime-time lineup and not inclined to make room for Kelly. The 47-year-old came to NBC News after 10 years at Fox News following an estimated contract of $20 million per year.
Her segment, ‘Megyn Kelly Today’ started in September 2017 and have been littered with controversy since. Since the start of her segment ratings of the ‘Today’ show have dropped and has declined in viewers by 400,000.
Awkward and hostile interviews with Hollywood figures such as Jane Fonda and Debra Messing did not help and ended up with bad publicity. Kelly gained a bit of ground following the eruption of the #MeToo movement, which is all forgotten after her recent scandal resulting in the cancellation of her show.
When Kelly stated on the show that dressing up in blackface or whiteface was not frowned upon in her hometown while growing up she received even more criticism.
Members from Kelly’s high school, Bethlehem Central High School wasted no time in sending NBC a letter denying that ‘blackface’ is or ever was acceptable in the Bethlehem community, not even back in 1988 when Kelly graduated.
They went on to state that not even their parents had any recollection of ‘blackface’ being worn as Halloween costumes when they were children.
Megyn Kelly, once included in the 2014 Time list of the 100 most influential people is now fighting to salvage what is left of her career.